As the sun sets a bit earlier and the temperatures begin to drop, our radar for Fall Family Photo Sessions activates as we prepare for one of our favorite seasons. Fall beckons us to embrace change, and what better way to do so than by refreshing our wardrobes? Let’s dive into the mesmerizing world of fall colors and wardrobe essentials by exploring the significance of the changing foliage and how it influences our sessions and fashion choices. From the rich and warm hues of autumn leaves to the cozy and stylish outfits that keep us snug, we will expand on some of our favorite locations, color palettes, and trends to incorporate in your family session.
Tips & Tricks
Before we start, let’s shed light on a few tips and tricks we’ve learned along the way:
- Dress for comfort. When you dress with comfort and confidence in mind, you are setting yourself up for success. Your comfortability clearly translates into photos. Be sure everyone looks good and feels good!
- Look at the materials your clothing is made of. Choose fabrics that are loose, airy, and easy to move in. Be sure the fabrics feel good to you; you’ll be wearing them for a while!
- Neutrals are your friend! Likely you already have a few basic neutral items in your closet. Additionally, they will pair nicely with any landscape you desire!
- Be mindful of patterns. Loud and noisy patterns, graphics, and logos can overwhelm a session’s flow. We recommend adding flair through getting creative in clothing texture and color.
- When to match (and not to match). By choosing to make your outfits compliment each other rather than be exact replicates, you are creating harmony in your photos that will be aesthetically pleasing to the eye while letting everyone’s unique personalities shine through their wardrobing. m
- Check the forecast. With everything mentioned above into consideration, make sure your outfit selections can stand the weather and terrain. Be sure to bring outer layers that are warm and fit your vision, as well as to choose the appropriate footwear. We suggest bringing two pairs of shoes: one pair to walk/hike in, another for posing.
Introducing our family photo mood boards for 2023:
Our inspiration for our Family Mood Boards comes from a deep love of incorporating neutrals, our brand-standardized colors of deep shades of green and denim blue, and your family’s hue of choice.
We hope you find joy in utilizing these curated creations, and consider utilizing these tips for our upcoming sessions!
Mood Board #1
Our first board is inspired by the Rice creek North Regional Trail located in Shoreview, Minnesota. We love the tactful use of neutral shades, combined with our favorite shade of denim blue and the family’s selection of a mauve pink and fuchsia tones against the lushious backdrop of wild grass and native trees.
Mood Board #2
On a warmer fall day, this family photo session scored the perfect backdrop in choosing Elm Creek Park in Maple Grove, Minnesota for their session’s location. Beige and sand tones for their neutral palette, in combination with the earthy offering of shades of green, paired so nicely with the berry-pink of their little girl’s outfit.
Mood Board #3
This family’s radiant smiles and playful personalities couldn’t have been better captured during their session at the Burwell House in Minnetonka, Minnesota. We love the family’s choice of ruby reds paired with earthy green and sandy tones, as well as our forever favorite – denim blue.
We hope you gathered inspiration for our next Fall Family Photo Session while reading this thoughtfully curated article. The unity of landscape, color, and personality are so crucial in developing a gorgeous family portrait, and we’re here to help you every step of the way as you capture life-long memories!
Keep your eyes on our website and social media for our next post, where we dive into brands we love in hopes of inspiring your family’s wardrobing.